Sunday, February 22, 2009

Net Minder?

The goalie on Porter's team couldn't take it any more.
Coach Tim asked Porter, who often plays defense,
to give it a go.
Porter didn't hesitate  - "Sure, that'd be AWESOME!"

I'm not gonna lie. I was a bit worried.  

That's a lot of pressure.  And a lot of equipment.  

Shouldn't he at least TRY . . . at PRACTICE first?  

Who knows if he can even STAND UP in all that gear?

And, um, will I still enjoy watching his games?

So many unanswered questions . . .
but Porter wasn't concerned,
and neither was his coach.

Come 15 minutes early and we'll suit you up . . . 
and that they did.






That's our goalie . . . 
happy & SWEATY & quite LARGE after the game. 

Note: he had to borrow a larger jersey as his was 
nowhere NEAR large enough to streeeeetch 
over his chest protection! (which, of course, I was glad
he was wearing, as the first puck hit him
square in the center of the chest.  Thwunk!
I took a deep breath . . . 
he giggled & used his oversized stick to sweep it away.)





We celebrated the team's victory, uh, well actually, loss, 
at In 'N Out after the game.  
As far as Porter was concerned, it was a victory, 
'cuz it was SOOOOO FUN.

I'm still undecided.

Thanks for sponsoring our celebration, Grandma Irene!!  
So sorry we didn't have warmer weather here
during your visit :-(
but we loved having you!


P.S. Hockey Goalie gear smells reeeeeeally bad.  When we sat down to dinner, I smelled FEET and realized it was Porter's HANDS.  Ughhhhhh.  All the fabreeze & baking soda & direct sunlight in the world doesn't make a bit of difference (on the gear...his hands cleaned up fine).  I know, 'cuz I tried.  Another strike against goalie-ing, in my book, which really doesn't matter, 'cuz it's not about me.  I know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sue, i know how u feel - worried. this year in soccer my coach (not my dad :( ) said that everyone had to play goalie; i hope the practice before the game he lets me practice. not to be negative, but im not the best goalie!

Heather Richardson said...

Harriet, that's AUNT Sue to you!

Great job Porter!

One of these days we'll get to one of your games. But probably not until after soccer and Little League season is through.

my word verification is thoongin - isn't that a city in Thailand?

C Hall said...

"net minder" sounds like an aussie thing...they say, mind the bubby, or mind your step...

anyway, i love that porter is so into this! and so good at it. how awesome is that! you made me miss in-n-out. but, what don't i miss???

such a cute family, too. we don't get to see dave much on this blog!

Gray Family said...

Way to go Porter! Thanks for getting me excited for Nate to start sports! I really can't stand "stink" of any kind and right now I am just barely able to put up with Jeff's cycling stuff - yuck! However, I will say that the look on Porter's face should make up for a little of the stench - not all - but at least a little - right?

Lori said...

Good job Porter!! Gabe liked playing goalie for his indoor soccer team last year. Yeah indoor, no warm or semi-warm sunny weather to play in here. (Lori sighs longingly for warm weather.) But we are getting an In-N-Out here!!!!!!!! They are building one in Draper, right up the road from Tory's work. I think the only thing that will keep us from going broke is that it will be CROWDED and Tory hates crowds. :)