Saturday, September 26, 2009

Australia Fair (part 3)

My wonderful tour guide sister hauled us all to "The Gap" -- the narrow opening from the ocean into Sydney Harbour. What beautiful cliffs. Carrie mentioned that standing there on those cliffs made her feel so far away - I felt it too. So much water & distance separates our continents. (Wah wah)



This picture is at The Gap, but looking toward the Harbour Bridge --
see it in the distance on the right?


Porter passes the time while we gaze.

And just so you know, Dogs are Totally Prohibited at The Gap.
TOTALLY . . . !




Next we were off to Bondi - the main Aussie beach I had heard of before our trip. It was not at all as I had pictured it -- much smaller & not so touristy. (we couldn't even find a souvenir!)

But the sand was soft & white and the water gorgeous aqua. Such a beautiful day - the sun was warm & the breeze was cool (just the way I like it!)

Porter was the only one of us brave enough for a winter ocean dip!
(video clip proof below!)

He was really looking forward to swimming in a rock pool (found at many aussie beaches - it fills with ocean water as the tide rises - below left), but unfortunately Bondi's was being drained for cleaning . . . it's not exactly the height of tourist season (just they way I like it!)


Anyhow, the rest of us were content to play in the sand

And eat our Aussie meat pies, while trying not to notice the topless sunbather next to us. (no picture, you're welcome, believe me...)

Abbie & I were particularly enthralled by the clever tomato (toe-'mah-toe) sauce packets. (i.e. ketchup). As Abbie demonstrates, they have two little pouches of ketchup on the bottom . . .
....so when you fold it in half, it squeezes out a tiny hole on the top! Coolio!

I know, we are easily entertained!


I also enjoyed how easy it was to remember where I was --
thank you kind budgee smuggler wearing grandpa!


As promised, here's Porter & new friend, Shaymus, in the Bondi surf!

2 comments:

C Hall said...

I still have stress thinking about losing Dave in the city in rush hour. Argh. What a miracle.

Anywho, thanks for not sharing the topless lady, and for the fantabulous demo of the tomato sauce! I love that design. I'm so glad we stopped at that nice pie shoppn the way to bondi. Not all pie shops are created equal:)

C Hall said...

I still have stress thinking about losing Dave in the city in rush hour. Argh. What a miracle.

Anywho, thanks for not sharing the topless lady, and for the fantabulous demo of the tomato sauce! I love that design. I'm so glad we stopped at that nice pie shop on the way to bondi. Not all pie shops are created equal:)