Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Land of Oz! (part 1)

It's been a bit overwhelming for me to think of posting anything that will do our summer vacation justice -- we had such a wonderful time visiting my sister & family in Australia -- but here I go (before Dave shoots me for taking so long). Here's a bit from our first day!


Ready to head into the airport for our midnight flight on Saturday - oh, the anticipation!

Trying on all the complimentary gear to make our next 15 or so hours comfy. I think I watched more movies & TV on the flight than I've seen in the past year!

Our first glimpses as we prepare to land Monday morning in Sydney (we lost our Sunday to the international dateline)



My awesome sister had our itinerary fully scheduled - so after a quick stop to see the cousins before they headed off to school, we showered & headed over to Sydney Harbor. What a beautiful day! It was so hot & muggy when we left CA, we welcomed the cooler 'winter' weather!




On the steps of the Opera House (Aubrye skipped school & came with us, and that's Taylor, front & center, all grown up & walking!)



Next stop - The Chinese Gardens. They dressed the kids up to get us in the 'mode' to take in the beautiful gardens.


Porter had more practical uses in mind for his staff. If we'd let him, I'm quite sure he'd have speared a big fat koi.


Still in the gardens, but the uncomfortable head pieces had to go!


Abbie & Aubrye (Madi, as she is known in Oz) were inseparable for our entire visit.


Much more to come! But first this --

Aboriginal Elvis (in gold rimmed sunglasses) plays hip hop Didgeridoo, for your listening enjoyment! Dave was ever so tempted to buy the cd...but he resisted the urge to do that, as well as to sit on the kangaroo-skin covered crate next to him holding a boomerang & have a picture taken! :-)

4 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

Totally "OZ"some! Can't wait for installment #2! The picture of Porter in the refined Chinese gentlemen's clothing, looking like a savage about to spike a koi is priceless! Great photos and travelouge so far....

sixrich said...

I love it!
Thought that WAS Kenz and Abs with the boomerangs and musician (think I was going to try to spell that one, did you??)

Gram Ann

C Hall said...

Aboriginal Elvis is so classic. Love that you've posted! Can't wait to see and remember more of our week -

Yesterday I was alone, washing dishes, laughing LOUD and this is why... "So was he old? or mentally disabled?" "Did he have tumors behind his eyes?" I am laughing now, I can't type... Kenzie's reactions were just so awesome.

Sue Coe said...

I'm afraid that will go down as THE classic moment of our visit!! Sooooo funny!