Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thrifty Sue

I have learned a new skill to aid me in my role as
"Head of Procurement of All Things Household"

I never have been one to pass up a bargain -- and I've always felt it was one of my responsibilities as a stay-at-home mom to make an extra effort to stretch the hard earned $$ of my husband. Recently I have learned how to combine sale prices with coupons in order to obtain things we need for minimal money out-of-pocket.

Some shopping trips are more fruitful than others, and it does take some pre-planning time (which I don't always have), but sometimes I walk out of the store feeling like the lady on the Ikea commercial coming out the the store with her bags, shouting to her husband in their VW van, "Start the car! Start the car!"

Here's a recent haul from Walgreens. All of these items would have cost $48, but with coupons & sale prices, I paid $7.40, and received a Walgreens voucher for $5. So essentially, I spent $2.40 & got all the halloween candy we needed, plus a few other items. Pretty thrifty!


I call myself frugal, btw, not cheap :-)

5 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

pretty sweet! I'm jealous of your frugality, something that Pete has said, and I quote "you (meaning me) are not wired for"

well, I will say there is not a Walgreen's anywhere near me, and the money I would spend in gas driving to one would negate most any savings in product. humph.

Sue Coe said...

Sounds like perfectly good reasoning to me!!

C Hall said...

so you left out the part of how you did this?

there was once a time i tried coupons and came home with pizza flavored chicken in a biscuit crackers that sat in the pantry for FIVE years. (threw them out when we moved...)

maybe you can offer me some lessons upon my return to the Land of Pleasant & Rewarding Shopping-dom.

Lori said...

Way to go Sue! A few days ago I watched a clip of a lady back east somewhere who used coupons and sales and ended up getting something like $250 worth of stuff for $0.01. Yes, I said one cent! Crazy! I think her store doubled coupons though. They don't do that here in Utah. Too many couponers I think.

Grammie Ann said...

Since when do people comment on their OWN blogs!

I LOVE blogs and you all! xox, Grammy A-- up too late again