Sunday, October 19, 2008

Housewifery in Orange County

I rarely go out to breakfast with my friends . . . but on such an occasion last month, my friends & I (who are ALL legitimate housewives -- or homemakers, as I prefer to be called) were asked to vacate our booth at Pacific Whey Cafe, so the "Real Housewives of Orange County" could use it to tape a segment for their show; my first thought was, "Am I not real?"  But we accepted his offer of free food & headed over to another, apparently less prestigious table by the window. 

REAL housewives . . . are they kidding?  I suppose if you've ever happened upon this show, you'll recognize them from the back, getting ready to sit down in OUR booth, while their cameramen schlepped in their gear --  thanks for taking the pic, Carolyn, I know that was SUPER embarrassing to be seen taking a photograph of such nonsense!

If those women are what the rest of the country thinks a 'housewife' in Orange County looks (or acts) like, I'm embarrassed.  They were so . . . artificial . . . even monster-like to me, with faces coated in make-up & streeeeetched. 

Are they, as Webster defines:  a married woman who's main occupation is caring for her family, managing household affairs, and doing housework?   Uh, don't think so...

I think the reason this was so irritating to me is that I CHERISH my role as a married woman who is faithful to my husband, and who's main occupation is caring for my family, teaching my children & managing our household affairs.  It's sacred to me.  (ok - I left out the housework part on purpose . . . but even THAT is a small price to pay for the privilege.)  And I LOVE the beauty of the area of world in which we live.

I don't struggle with inadequacy with regards to my role as 'just a wife & mom.'  I know that there is eternal influence and power in motherhood.  I know that the greatest work I will EVER do will be accomplished within the walls of my home.  That doesn't mean that I don't get discouraged -- I DO -- or want to give up -- I DO, on occasion -- but I know that what I am trying to do is important and worthwhile.  And I am really sad for those women who don't 'get it', and spend their time as wives & mothers chasing after happiness where it doesn't exist . . . and then televising it as though it's normal.  I hope it's not normal.

OK, rant over.  Whew -- I feel better now!

8 comments:

Sue Coe said...

OK - so WHY are all my font sizes MESSED UP? That's not how I had them when I pushed 'publish'! Ugh, It's buggin' me. Oh well, at least I finally posted again - good 'nuf.

Heather Richardson said...

I thought your fonts looked fine, but I'm sending you my (meager) tech support suggestion in an email.

Great Post!!

Gray Family said...

I totally agree - who in their right mind can possibly think that "real houswives" can look good all the time and have time to tape a show? If they are so real -where is all their laundry and dusty candles? Really - you want real turn off the show and start watching home videos!

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Those ladies are certainly not representative of ANY housewife I know of. No matter what the housewives of the 50s were much better put together and much better at housewifery than those ladies. :)

C Hall said...

K. I was wondering about all your font sizes. I read it as if you were whispering (tiny font) sometimes :)

I definitely share your sentiments. It is such a privilege to care for the kids and the home & the husbands, even if it occasionally makes us crazy.

Unfortunately I do recognze those plastic women. (it only takes one time to get hooked...) What a miserable life they lead. Sad that they probably think their viewers envy them when really we just get a good laugh or get totally grossed out.

Hope you had a great breakfast with your girlfriends.

sixrich said...

Right on Sue!!!
oxoxoxoxox, Mom (visiting "down under" and loving it all--even the background of loud but beautiful white cockatoos!)

Heather Richardson said...

Hey! Harriet and I watched a Nature show Sunday night about those Cockatoos! Beautiful, but quite a nuisance, especially when in big flocks, right? The whole show was about parrots etc. of Australia.

Hope you are all having a great time!!

Dana Coe said...

You said it Sue! It is refreshing to know there are still people out there that value the honor of being of a wife and a mother.