Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Last One For Us!

SIDENOTE:  A few months ago I started to work on this post, but didn't get past the title (i know, i'm embarrassingly slow) & accidentally published it -- just the title!  It was only up for a day, but Heather, my sis-in-law, (who, incidentally, is much better about keeping her blog up-to-date...and well-written, I must add), was VERY alarmed.  "What happened?  Why are you quitting your blog?", she immediately worried, making me feel very loved :-)  Well, it was all a boo boo, I explained.  And see, here I am.  Still here. However sporadically.

So, the 'last one for us' is NOT referring to the last POST, but the last
3RD GRADE ORANGE COUNTY PLAY!  
Each of the Coe kids has enjoyed performing in this play (well, some more than others!) all about the history of the beautiful area in which we live.

Porter played the part of the Orange County Businessman, hence his snappy costume!! -- Here he is in the '09 OCPlay!





Here's Abbie after the '02 Performance!


And, of course, Kenzie was first to perform it in 2000.




You may have noted that both Kenz & Abs were wearing the same costume.  And if you're SUPER observant, you will notice that there was someone wearing it in Porter's play as well.  This may be the most used & most loved & most borrowed costume of the century.  It has been worn in EVERY OCPlay for the past 9 years, as well as an assortment of other events...so handy when you need to be Laura Ingalls or Helen Keller for your oral book report, or a pioneer girl for Halloween or the lead role in 'Gold Dust or Bust' . . .

. . . or even a if you have a small part in a church production called Aurelia in 1978!  Yep, that's me in 8th grade modeling the costume my awesome Mom MADE for me for the play; and even a few swatches of the leftover fabric (that were rubber-cemented to the photo I tore out of my scrapbook; people didn't worry about acid-free scrapbooking supplies back then, among other things - like SEATBELTS - I will never forget bouncing over the seats from the back to the front & back again of our VW van while my mom was chauffeur-ing us kids all over town -- or flying out of my booster seat (no straps, just a booster, like at a restaurant) into the lap of one of he boys from the boys' home (my mom&dad were homeparents when I was 5)  when my mom went over the railroad tracks WAY too fast.  Woo hoo!!! 
Oh goodness, I have seriously digressed)    

So. Here's me in the costume.

 


And, if you're still reading, here's a little clip of Porter, dancing in the "Yipee Kai Yay" number about the cowboys & rancheros of . . . . you guessed it -- Orange County!  (sure wish you could hear the bull snorting while he paws at the 'dirt' - but the darn singing drowns it out on my tape!)

3 comments:

C Hall said...

talk about multi media! no wonder this post took months! you've got video, fabric, scanned historical photos... so fun. i like the digression as well. it's like you're talking to me!

and by the way, you just posted this 7 minutes ago! I feel so special :)

glad it's not your last "post". I'll let you know when I need to borrow that costume!

Gray Family said...

I can't believe someone out there has costumes older than my mom! Unbelievable! So, what's happening with the costume now? I think it should have a journal - you know just like Flat Stanely! Oh the stories it would tell!

I too remember flying all over the car while driving - and yet now I FREAK if my children are buckled! What a spaz I am!

Thanks for not leaving the posting world. Paige still loves seeing and reading about her favorite babysitter. For some reason there is a bond there - funny.

Gray Family said...

Ooops! I meant to say that I FREAK if my children AREN'T Buckled. Just more evidence of my spaziness!